Francis Ford Coppola will finance the next Megalopolis film with his own $120 million

0

The Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola plans to put in over $100 million of his own money to fund his dream project, Megalopolis. Under construction for several years, Megalopolis is described as an ambitious love story akin to a Roman epic but set in the timeless city of New York. The film centers on an architect’s dream of building a utopia after a disaster has ravaged the city.

Megalopolis was rejected by many studios over the years, but that didn’t deter Coppola from making a last ditch effort. Megalopolis was officially announced last year, with Coppola targeting Oscar Isaac, Cate Blanchett, Forrest Whittaker, Jon Voight, Zendaya, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange and James Caan to star.

VIDEO OF THE DAY

More than a decade has passed since Coppola’s last film, Twixt, is out, and the legendary filmmaker can’t wait to get back to acting. Coppola says he wants to make a movie that will be remembered for a long time and that everyone will see at least once a year, forever, like the one from 1946 It’s a wonderful life.

In a recent interview with GQ, Coppola spoke about his commitment to bringing his longtime passion project to life, Megalopolis, and how he’s willing to spend a fortune if that’s what it takes to make the movie. This is not the first time that Coppola has self-financed a film. He did the same with Revelation now and one of the heart, the latter’s performance at the box office leaving him bankrupt. But he is ready to take the risk.


Coppola owns a lucrative wine business in California and has amassed a huge fortune. Last year he sold some of his cellars and will use the capital to finance Megalopolis. “I don’t care about the financial impact, whatever it is. It means nothing to me,” Coppola said when reminded of his earlier woes. He added: “Well, it’s not like $120 million is the extent of what I have. I left a lot to all my children. And then themselves, the biggest thing that I bequeathed to my children, it is their know-how and their talent.

Coppola plans to film Megalopolis end of 2022 and estimates that it will take at least three years to do so. Hopefully the movie will be worth the wait.

Related: 10 Best Francis Ford Coppola Movies, Ranked


Francis Ford Coppola is not a fan of superhero movies


Coppola clarifies Marvel comments

In support of Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola also expressed his views on superhero movies in 2019, calling them “despicable”. Speaking to GQ, Coppola doubled down on his criticism, saying the repetitive nature of Marvel movies has started to affect other big movies as well.

There were studio films. Now there are Marvel images. And what is a Marvel image? A Marvel picture is a prototype movie that is made over and over and over and over again to look different. Even talented people – you could take Dune, directed by Denis Villeneuve, an extremely talented and gifted artist, and you could take No Time to Die, directed by Cary Fukunaga – extremely gifted, talented, magnificent artists, and you could take these two movies, and you and I could go and get the same footage from both and put them together. The same sequence where the cars all crash into each other. They all have this stuff in them, and they almost have to have it, if they want to justify their budget. And these are the good films and the talented filmmakers.

Francis Ford Coppola and the awkward making of The Godfather will be fictionalized in the upcoming Paramount+ series The offer. The series will be told through the eyes of producer Albert S. Ruddy (Miles Teller). Coppola will be played by Dan Fogler (fantastic beasts franchise).

The offer debuts on Paramount+ on April 28, 2022.


Blade Runner 2 will be very different from the original
Explained: Where The Blade Runner Movie Title Came From

The recent announcement of Amazon’s Blade Runner 2099 live-action series has reignited the question of where the film’s title came from.

Read more


About the Author

Share.

Comments are closed.